“The War Here and Abroad: CUNY and U.S. Empire”
Wednesday, December 4
CUNY Graduate Center, 365 Fifth ave, rm 5414
A panel and discussion with Graduate Center professors David Harvey and Ashley Dawson, student Faris Al-Ahmad Zwiran, and Ali Issa of the War Resisters League and Jadaliyya.
Co-sponsored by the Center for Place, Culture, and Politics, the Middle Eastern Studies Organization, Free University NYC, the Critical Palestine Studies Association, and the International Socialist Organization–CUNY Graduate Center.
Among the issues at hand:
1. As commander of the Multi-National Security Transition Command Iraq from June 2004, Petraeus collaborates with U.S. military officers who organize commando units that kill upwards of 3,000 people a month and torture many others in secret locations.
2. Petraeus directs the CIA, which oversees U.S. drone attacks in Pakistan and Yemen, among other countries, from Sept. 2011 to Nov. 2012. In 2011, there were an estimated 64 such attacks in Pakistan, with 435 casualties; in 2012, 64 and 304, respectively.
3. CUNY hires Petraeus to teach at Macaulay.
4. The NYPD brutalizes CUNY students protesting Petraeus’s hire.
6. Meanwhile, a right-wing think tank urges the military to recruit CUNY students.
7. And ROTC returns, after being pushed out in 1971. Its headquarters? CCNY.
Flyer attached. See you Wednesday